View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid325 View Post
I still think Dan's review was one of the best out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I read the review and agree with Dan.

Here's what I posted; be curious to see if the author responds (note font change for ease of reading...)

I note that the classic audio reviewer ploy of never directly comparing comparably-priced components & determining which one sounds the best was utilized for this review. G*d forbid we say which of three ~$USD 2500 products sounds best for risk of losing ad revenue. Personally, I find this type of review to be disingenuous & specious and most importantly, a disservice to your readers. Instead, let's compare Yggy to a product that costs ~2.5X as much. Yes, that will be really helpful for customers shopping for DACs in the $2500 price range. That aside, the biggest issue I have with this review is you're comparing apples to oranges: the Brooklyn and Bencmhark are primarily $2200 preamps that include a delta-sigma Sabre DAC chip. And as far as D/S DACs, particularly Sabre DACs, go compared to a true R2R Mutli-bit DAC? Uh, thanks, but no thanks. I don't want to re-live those halcyon days of "Sabre glare". Yeesh! So, here's some advice & a suggestion: Next time, do your readers a service & compare a true DAC to a true DAC and not...a preamp. Then, there is no reason to complain it doesn't have a volume control. And compare products that fall within the same price range, so that customers can make an informed decision (a novel concept for a audio review) rather than trying to guess if Yggy is better than a Mytek or a Benchmark by comparing how Yggy sounds to a DAC costing $6000. That is called, in professional quality disciplines, providing VALUE and QUALITY for your customers, your readers.

Reviews like this are really irksome and I find them specious & insulting to our collective intelligence because...they provide no VALUE to potential customers.

Makes me want to start my own audio review publication called...NBAR: No Bullsh*t Audio Reviews.