View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
Update on Aegir as it burns in and as I gain experience with it: 1) The sonic character has not changed much from what it was at about 10 hours. 2) The standby mode helps the amp warm up and sound good quickly - within about 10 minutes its full snuff. 3) The bass has a warm quality that I like, but may not be to everyone's taste. Its big and full bodied, but doesn't "grip" the cones quite like a top notch A/B amp of higher power rating does. 4) The gain structure is a bit low such that, when running passive or via JFET buffers on my Freya, I can run out of ability to "turn it up" as far as I want to. Any active pre-amp (including Freya's tube stage) is plenty to get you all the gain that you want, but passive pre-amp operation may not be enough gain in some situations. Overall, I am still very impressed with this little amp as it sounds so inviting and has such a musical presentation.
Thanks for the feedback. Over the years my preference actually leans towards a more analog and vinyl like bass response, big and full bodied as you describe. All too often class A/B sounds too dry and artificially sterile as far as bass. As the amp exerts grip over the cones but somewhere in the feedback loop it fudges the bass to be dry and artificial sounding with perhaps an overshoot of cone control. Musical instruments like to resonate, not start and stop on a dime as they say