View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 09:32 PM

Okie dokie. In response to Rex and Grasshopper's excellent advice (the MEN220 is an awesome idea but not actionable right at the moment) we centered the turntable on the credenza to get it out of the peak node and into an area where the energy levels were't shaking it.

We had a dramatic demonstration of this effect before we made the move, as we were experimenting. We turned up Leonard Cohen's Waiting for the Miracle to volume level 65 on the amplifier to form a baseline. A feedback loop occurred and the right channel drivers started bouncing like kids in one of those inflatable play pens, and then the amp's power guard kicked in. Yikes.

Let's not do that again.

I discussed the issue with my wife. She concurred that the television was not really very important but that the sound was, so we removed the television and centered the turntable on the credenza, giving its some breathing room away from the speakers. We also moved the facing sofa out of the center of the room, relocated the Eames chair to the bookshelf in the newly opened space, and gave it another try.

The result? It is currently playing at level 75% and doing wonderfully. No feedback, no seismic waves, no distortion. Bass is awesome. Mid and treble are seamless. The Revel's sound like Devore point source speakers on a female vocalist jazz track... except they are playing Mr. Cohen with a chorus. Tonal balance is coherent and event across the board.

Very awesome results. Now to unplug the amp from the Powerwave and see if it breathes any better with a direct wall connection.

I will post pictures if I can figure out how to do it.
l MA7900 Integrated Amp l Sonus Faber Concerto Speakers l Clearaudio Performance Turntable w/Ortofon Credenza Cartridge l Rega Saturn CD Player l Marantz Tuner l PlayStation-4 l Transparent MM2 Cables & Power l