View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 06:51 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
REL is quite specific that the ground wire should not be connected on a fully balanced amp. I have two RELs using high level connections: on the D’Agostino Momentum, which is balanced, the ground wire floats/is unconnected. I have it capped with a wire nut. On my Luxman SQ-N100, it sounds fine with the ground wire connected to a negative post, but there is sound leakage to the speakers when headphones are connected, so I have it connected to the phono ground lug instead.

Following is from the manual for the Carbon Special, but they’re all the same:

“For differential (i.e. fully balanced) amplifiers using one REL, simply use the standard connecting scheme with the exception of NOT connecting the black wire to a negative speaker terminal. Instead, it should first be allowed to “float” or hang down without connection to ANY terminal. Should hum occur using this method, please try connecting to an unused RCA connector on the rear of a preamp or amplifier.”
Your post is spot on, Connecting to the GND side of an RCA works often. In my case with the Levinson 585 the BLK wire is not used, I ran an extra wire from a RCA on the 585 to a RCA input of the REL. This is very easy to do by soldering the extra wire to the GND side ONLY!!! of two RCA plugs.

I have owned numerous REL subs and have always found a solution establishing a proper GND