View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 04:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarSanz View Post
Puma, this is an awesome set up, impressive. I am beginning to think that ordering the absorption panels were a mistake and that I should have ordered more diffusers instead. What are your thoughts on this?

My room has some echo issues and it’s lively in terms of the higher frequencies which I am trying to tame. As it relates to putting the diffusers behind the speakers, is there an optimum location? Should they be higher, lower or the same size as the speaker?

Sorry for all the questions, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing the first time around.

Thanks.
Hi Mar,
The absorption panels primary function is to reduce slap echo by acoustical damping, so you if you have some echoes, then you can place some at various positions in your room. You can also intersperse them on side or back walls in between the diffusor panels if you wish.

With respect to positioning the Alpha 4A or Impressions series panels, I put mine pretty much behind the Harbeths, as can be seen in the photo. I'd probably put them a bit higher, but I can't as that is the height of the half-wall behind the speakers. They also can and should be placed at reflection points.

With respect to number, I'd just play around and experiment. GIK says that the more you place in the room, the better it will sound, and I'm inclined to agree with that. My limitations right now is that I'm running out of places to put more in in my unusual and unorthodox listening space.

Also, GIK has free advice, so you can call them for specifics on mounting and placement and positions. They are very helpful. You may want to consider ordering your acoustical (damping) panels as well from them just to make ordering and shipping more straightforward.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.