View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 06:49 PM

I seem to have bad luck with SACD players. Before I had the Esoteric X-05, I had a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista SACD player. They had designed it around a Phillips transport that turned out to have a fatal design flaw that caused the drives to fail after a few months. I had to send it back twice to have the defective drives replaced. When it failed for the 3rd time, Phillips had pulled the mechanism, so there were no replacements left. Unlike EMM Labs, which had also used that drive in their player, Musical Fidelity was unable (unwilling?) to find a substitute drive that would work, so the player couldn't be fixed & I was screwed.

So I replaced it with an Ayre C-5xeMP, which arrived defective, so I replaced it with the Esoteric. And now I received a defective Marantz. That's 3 out of 4 defective $7K SACD players in a row from 4 different well-respected brands! $7,000 may be chump change compared to the top-of-the-line from Esoteric, CH Precision, DCS, MSB, et al, but in my book it should, at the very least, ensure the kind of quality control that would catch a defective unit BEFORE it is shipped...

As I have seen nothing but positive reviews about the SA-10, I'm crossing my fingers that the replacement will live up to its reputation!

Last edited by Crumhorn; 09-02-2021 at 11:54 PM.