View Single Post
Old 12-13-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Congrats on the Sabrina's Blackfield.

Unless I missed a post in which you raised your budget, those three McIntosh units you mentioned are going to be well beyond your price point.

Like Charles said on page 1. The MA9000 (used) would be right at your max price and checks every box and then some. It comes standard with the new DA2 module which is an upgrade of the DAC in my MA8000 integrated which I absolutely love.

I personally would not go below any power unit less than 150 watts with those Wilson's. It's not that a lower powered amp won't drive them, but you don't want a 30 or 50 watt amp running out of gas and clipping on high dynamic range recordings. Your soundstage will collapse and damage to the Wilson's is possible.

I suggest you become a subscriber and see if Ivan can turn some rocks over and come up with a mint MA9000 that meets your price criteria.

Best of luck.
Thank you. I did raise my budget to around $12k. I can find a used MA12000 or C2700/MC462 within this budget. I am a subscriber and did not know that Ivan can source used equipment.

Given my small room size - 11ft x 13.5 ft, I think at this point I am leaning towards MA12000 and save a little bit of cash for other things.
I am not sure if I would drive Sabrina X loud enough to reap the benefits of MC462's more power and headroom. My only hesitation is I never own a separate, so there is a nagging feeling to not want to miss the opportunity yet I am not sure if I can hear the diff as I never A-B them.

Last edited by Blackfield; 12-14-2021 at 12:03 AM.