View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......How will the testing and comparison actually be done, one cable set at a time, physically installing the cables back and forth, or some method that will allow for immediate A/B comparisons?
Dan, I don't believe in immediate A/B comparisons because there is no way to switch the cables fast enough to make a difference anyway. All that cable swapping makes you break concentration and since most people shut the gear off, introduces cooling periods which can and do affect the sound.

Instead, I will do this how I've been doing it for years. I've selected various recordings that will showcase individual strengths, bass depth, articulation, speed, midrange and highs purity, overall imaging, focus, depth and width of soundstage and palpability/3 dimensionality. I take notes on paper with these various tracks, listen some more without taking notes and then move on to the next set.

Once that is done, I will usually spend a few days just listening to various recordings to judge the overall performance or "listenability" of each cable, how well it synergizes with the system or doesn't. I get used to the "cable sound" and when I swap them, it is readily apparent as I go back through my listening sessions that something is either better, the same or worse.

There are certain traits of a cable that immediately jump out at you and persist through the listening sessions.

The quick A/B tests will only give you a brief glimpse and for the most part only confuses.