View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
I purchased the petites to test whether my room could handle a larger speaker - and whether my wife could. She objects to the current size but the protests have diminished. The latours are far bigger though. I think more attractive.

I was told by my wise mentor to take incremental steps up the ladder, to learn to appreciate the differences - especially as there is no trade in cost. Hence, that's part of it too. The journey and education.

Frankly, the big latour - or even the petites - are such an expense that it's not only whether they are "better" that matters but whether you feel comfortable spending (not investing as many here say) so much on audio. Even those that can easily afford them may conclude it doesn't make sense.

I could easily live with and be happy with your Devores - which are no compromise at all, the petites or the big latours. You already have an incredible system, such that it's definitely diminishing marginal returns. And some of the difference is obvious only to those that have trained themselves how to listen, not to the music but the sound. That isn't always healthy to be so hyper aware/critical.

I personally think the room is such a huge variable in music reproduction that it would clearly influence my thinking in which speaker. Why spend so much on gear if the room minimizes or negates such an effort? That was my thinking - given my modest room scale, would I get 90% out of the petites and only 75% out of the latours, for example.

To answer your question more directly, yes I probably will get the latours. I do love the petites and could happily stay with them, especially if my room wasn't receptive to the bigger speakers. But the big latours/we300b's are what got me hooked on this and I am trying to recreate that sound - even if Matt had such a great sounding space.

I may move for a year or so which has me in limbo, along with the aforementioned WAF. I will however keep a pair of petites for my office space.
Very good perspective and attitude toward this hobby of ours. I like the way you look at this, cost vs result based on room limitations. I too am facing similar room situation. It is easy to just say, 'order the best' regardless of price but sometimes the law of diminishing returns do have to apply. I'm sure as time and room requirements go forth I will consider either speaker or possibly equipment upgrades but for now will as you say, enjoy the journey and appreciate each step along the way. Very well said.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables