View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Default Compatibility of Wyred 4 Sound unit and standard Sonos?

Hello, this is my first post having stumbled up this thread whilst searching for a Sonos like system which would give me FLAC 24/96 capability.

From what I have read here, the Wyred 4 sound modded Sonos is really good. To be honest in my younger days I was more critical of sound quality - I used to listen to vinyl on my Thorens turntable through Gale speakers powered by my home grown power amp. Moving on 20 years, like many I have got sucked into the convenience factor of digital downloads. However, I have got tired of listening to MP3 and AAC, and even when I stream FLAC from Mezzmo through my Sony BDP-S570 Blu Ray, the sound leaves a lot to be desired.

I have an aging Denon AV receiver (AVR2805) and a mish-mash of Bose and Paradigm speakers and obviously these need a major upgrade. However, I know from playing SACD on my Sony DVP-NS975 DVD player, my ears can still appreciate the dramatic sound improvement of SACD over CD.

I have had a demo of the Sonos and love the interface and the easy multi-room setup, but would prefer that it was capable of better than the default 16/44. I would like to keep the convenience of streaming audio from my PC/server, and was wondering if the modded Sonos would be the way to go?

With the Wyred 4 Sound system would I be able to use the standard Sonos bridge and add standard Sonos systems for my other rooms?

Maybe to do this I would need to have two sets of FLAC on my server, 16/44 and 24/96?

Other solutions I have been looking at:

PC with High Resolution Technologies Music Streamer II USB DAC
Mac Mini with High Resolution Technologies Music Streamer II USB DAC
Rotel RDG-1520 (however not FLAC 24/96 capable unless you go via AUX port)

Thanks for your help