View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 09:16 PM

Some observations about my addition of the acoustic diodes to my DAWs. Installed by my dealer Audio Advisors (West Palm Beach). Changing out the standard spikes for the ADs is straightforward but time consuming and requires some care to protect the speaker. As others have noted AB testing is an unlikely proposition. Speakers stand directly on ceramic tile flooring which itself is directly adhered to the concrete slab foundation. I have been listening to the DAWs since 2/20. There are several observations I have made attributable to the AD installation that after careful listening to recordings I have heard over 40 years I feel confident are not due to cognitive dissonance or audio placebo effect. Most noticeable is that massed orchestral sections and crescendo in particular are better resolved giving a much greater sense of realism—-discrete instrumental sections are playing rather than a fusion of sound. I found this observation reproducible on several recordings, LP and CD, and to be highly satisfying. A related observation is greater (than the already excellent) stability of the orchestral soundstage with a better sense of the instruments in spatial relation to the others. Some recordings have more of this information than others. On a few recordings transient speed at least seemed greater. This and my initial perception that low level detail was improved were harder for me to remain confident in over time. Finally what I had anticipated would improve and clearly did was bass and midbass clarity and taughtness. Overall I would consider the Acoustic Diode an unqualified improvement for the DAWs. Several relatively small details in sound reproduction contribute to a much more satisfying result in an already excellent speaker. While not inexpensive, the ADs are of superb quality and constitute at MSRP less than 10% the MSRP of the DAW. If the ADs are not standard on new production DAWs I would strongly suggest they be purchased alongside the speaker for initial installation simplicity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9689161A-34D0-4187-8AE3-4AB969401BDC.jpeg (1.66 MB, 26 views)
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.