View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soro86 View Post
I am new to McIntosh and lucky to be enjoying a 1502 for past 6 months. Big change coming from VTL MB 250 all triode amps. My impression is a cooler mid range, highly detailed but not fatiguing, and great bass compared to the VTL's. Also going from a Premier 16 to Backert Labs Rhumba made a big difference. Bigger soundstage, greater instrument separation, and rhythm that feels right on. The 1502 is solid, dead quiet, beautifully built, and drives my ESL 11A's with ease. Good luck!
Thanks! All comments are suspiciously leaning towards the 1502 here, which I considered the most pragmatic decision; the 2301 are a purely irrational push, as I said, probably over-killing the EVOs.

Good that you mentioned also the pre-amp. Being the 1502 so clear, it might require a good pairing with the pre-amp not to give up completely the tube warmth. My idea is to drive the amp with the variable output of my DAC/player, but I am pretty sure it's only a matter of time to add a pre-amp. I suspect that this pairing is becoming too clear / neutral to my taste. Moreover, the output voltage of the balanced out of my DAC is up to 6.1V RMS which compares to the current 16V RMS of Mc pres.

C70 / C22 V are on my radar... although reading reviews and comments from owners the C53 seems to be more tubish than the tube pres. But this is another topic.

Thanks!
Matteo

Last edited by Matteo; 01-14-2022 at 07:04 AM.