View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 01:58 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfield View Post
Hi,

A new member here and I am a noob in the hi-fi audio world.

Recently, I got a chance to listen to Wilson Audio Alexx V and it opened my ears on how really great stereo system sounds like.
It is way out of my budget but it was a great fun nonetheless.

I also got a chance to listen to Sabrina X and my plan is to build a decent stereo system with Sabrina X as the foundation.

The listening rooms to consider:
1. W 11' x L 13.5' x H 10'. This is an empty bedroom atm and it has a window on the front wall.
2. W 12' x L 16' x H 12'. This is my office. If you are facing the front wall (the 12' wide wall), there are windows (with plantation shutters) on the left side and double glass door at the back to enter the room.
I plan to add acoustic treatment down the road.

Others:
* listening level: moderate db (80%) and higher (20%).
* genre: prog rock/metal (50%), blues, jazz, vocal and others (50%)
* source: digital only
* amp preference: leaning towards SS integrated.
* amp+dac budget: below $8k, don't mind used/demo unit.

The dealer matches Sabrina X with Dan D'Agostino Progression Integrated, while they sound good together, at $20k, the amp is out of my budget.

1. My plan is to use room # 1 to begin with, in the future, I may move it to room # 2. Due to the room size - I am concerned if a floorstander will overwelm the room - yet Sabrina X is not exactly huge.
Will Sabrina X overwelm such small rooms?

2. What is the optimum amp wpc range to drive Sabrina X for my room size and listening habits?
ref - Sabrina X impedance curve: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
* In this thread - both Charles and metaphacts mentioned that MC275 (@75wpc) can't drive Sabrina X adequately.

To get the best out of Sabrina X, Charles suggested for tube - a minimum of 150 wpc or a SS of 400 wpc.
While metaphacts here mentioned that ARC i50 (@50wpc) is a match.

What could explain the seemingly very wide range of wpc recommendations?

* On the other hand, I was given an advice by someone at Wilson Audio that for the above room size, anything that can provide 80-150wpc (tube or SS) should be more than sufficient.

3. I do not have a lot of experience with different amps signatures sound, thus it is though for me to narrow down the companies too.
What questions would you ask one self to help narrow down an amp?

4. What is your thought on Sabrina X & Hegel H390 synergy?
Folks at Audio Excellence mentioned the Sabrina X and H390 pairing.

Rated at 250 wpc at 8ohms, it can almost double to 490 wpc at 4ohms.
The price is reasonable and it is convenient as it is integrated, comes with DAC, streamer, thus comes with everything that I need.

5. I am open to other suggestions for an amp that is outside of the budget if an argument can be made that the amp will have better synergy with Sabrina X than Hegel H390- thus saving me from upgrading in the future.
* McIntosh appears to be quite popular in this forum. I am curious if MA9000 will be a good match with Sabrina X.

6. Given the current climate, how much of a discount can one reasonably receive for Sabrina X and high end amps?
I have not asked my dealer as I am in the researching phase and would like to get your input. Please feel free to PM me if you prefer to share it in private.

I would appreciate any feedbacks that you may offer.
Good luck with your search.

If you were not aware, I work for Wilson Audio.

That said my i50 comments were based on comments from ARC personnel whose value jugements I trust. I was at ARC a couple of Saturdays ago to set up their Sasha DAWs in the main listening room with Warren. Though I saw many i50 on the production line, there was not time to hear it with their Sabrina X.

Once I hear one, I can comment further.