View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 03:56 AM

Smile

Thanks everyone for the encouraging replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
I am also a lover of tuners and FM, but hold out no hope for appreciation (of these or almost any audio equipment). I may love it more, but the market won’t.
I'll tell you what, I understand your love for them! The first day I got this thing home, I kept staring at it and enjoying tuning in station after station. It is the most interactive piece of equipment in our system, and it sounds phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
The TU-9900 is one of the best tuners ever made. Congrats on acquiring a fine piece of gear.
Thanks, I believe it! We are really enjoying it. I'm a technician HAM, KC8HCF, hoping to test for General & Extra this year! I also am thinking I may build some antennas to try out on the TU-9900. Any tips or proven stealth or attic antennas? We have a new to us house and I haven't had a chance to put a bunch of antennas in the attic yet, but I have plans to run some coax for external and attic antennas. I'm using the EZ-HD TV antenna mounted outside on the old satellite mount running to my patch panel in the basement. It's on the old cable amplifier from the previous owners so it can be distributed to any room to watch Broadcast TV (or in this case listen to the radio) & it is doing pretty well for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macuser View Post
Congrats to you on landing an excellent tuner. I had a modded one years ago and it sent my Mcintosh MR78 off to a new home. The TU9900 is also one of the very few pieces I've had that I regret selling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
That's one of the classic tuners of all time! I think it's likely that you'll be thrilled with it.
We are very, very happy with it. It sure has a lot of appeal. I'm so excited to have this 40+ year old piece of equipment in our main system. It has gotten a LOT of use in the past 4 days!

My wife was weary about the price, and I was planning on paying a significant amount of the cost out of my personal fun account as a result, but after seeing and experiencing it she agreed it could be a joint expense. That's quite an endorsement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
AMammal....congrats! I have no doubt you'll love the TU-9900. I'm a tuner lover from way back; I used a TU-717 for many years and was really a fine tuner. I would imagine the TU-9900 would be fabulous. I entertain the idea of grabbing one at some point, though I have no idea what system I would put it in. I still have my TU-717, in storage. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions....congrats!
It is my favorite piece in our living room system and it looks phenomenal. It is pulling in quite a few stations we could not get with the little Crosley radio (no surprise there) and we even brought in a WY station despite the yagi antenna pointing SW in the Denver Metro area. It is almost a shame it is inside of a vented cabinet as I love staring at the thing, almost as much as listening to it and flipping the switches and turning the knob. I remember reading that some people stated it could be noisy but turning on the attenuation and noise filter rectifies this to the point I don't see any problem at all. (It's running with the Klipsch Forte III's which are pretty sensitive, and it sounds fantastic.)

I've read the manual and need to read the service manual as the frequency indicator is off a bit, but it looks like there are provisions for that inside.

That TU-717 looks very similar, I'm sure it sounds phenomenal as well! You should find a place for it for sure.

Cheers all, we're thrilled with it and so happy to join the ranks of those with tuners in their systems! Huzzah!

Rogue Stereo 100 & RP-5, Klipsch Forte III, Sony PS-LX520, Sansui TU9900, Bluesound Node 2i, Dennis Had Inspire 6v6'er & LP-3a, Tannoy Mercury V1, Audeze LCD-3, Luxman P-1u, Schiit Magni Heresy, Modi3+, Loki, Eitr, Musical Fidelity M1-Dac (1st gen).