View Single Post
Old 04-23-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Bob, I enjoyed the review. When I read reviews I come away with a general impression and his was very positive. He also owns an Alexia 2 and I believe he will purchase the Alexx V, although he did not specifically say so.

I do think he missed the boat comparing the treble in the Alexia 2 to the Alexx V, implying it was mostly because of the new tweeter. I remember asking Peter McGrath concerning the Alexia 2 vs Alexx treble because it uses the Mark III tweeter. He said specifically and emphatically that the original Alexx had the superior treble. I purchased the Alexx based solely on his recommendation. I think you have "big Wilsons" and "small Wilsons". It is more appropriate to respect this distinction when comparing one Wilson to another.

Although the driver is quite important, it's the overall platform that makes more difference, unless Wilson goes to a Be or other hard dome.

Bottom line, the Alexia 2 has a wonderful treble that competes effectively in its price point. When and if it is upgraded, it will not surpass the original Alexx. It's a significant mistake. I don't think you would see other more seasoned reviewers make this comparison.

But it was a very positive review which I enjoyed reading.

Best

Charles
You have had far more experience with 'big' Wilsons than I so I shall readily accede to your observations. I did not find anything amiss with the image height of the Alexx V I auditioned at Paragon Sight and Sound (or with the old Alexx or the XVX for that matter). Properly set up, imaging is quite natural with Wilsons regardless of size.

However, if we add your criticisms to mine, it would appear that Mr. Clott's review as a piece of audio journalism is subpar even though all three of us came to the same final overall opinion about the Alexx V. I do not believe that the review conveys well the experience of listening to the Alexx V. Where we may agree to disagree, I surmise, is that I did not find that mishmash of a review very enjoyable to read.

Respectfully,

Bob
__________________________________________________ _________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.