View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 11:34 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
Thank you very much Bart, I visited their website and the MU1 seems very interesting, if I decided to test high price streamers I'll include it.

How did you make your choice, Bart?

Did you compare different streamers, which ones, at home or at the dealer?

I heard different Aurender and Lumin streamers at shows and dealers.
I wanted Roon, so Aurender was off the list.

Then I did extensive listening tests at my dealer.
Speakers and electronics there are very comparable to my set-up at home, and I have been listening to his system on quite a lot of occasions now.

You probably read my comparison between the Grimm and the Auralic G2.1.
The difference was really huge (after just one piano note my buddy and I knew already, but we did listen for hours ).
I was surprised because before the comparison, I had already more or less decided to buy the Auralic, which I had heard on earlier sessions, and experienced it as a great streamer.

The Grimm device has a clock that is loved in recording studios, does the upsampling (so that the DAC doesn't have to do this heavy task), and is also a Roon core.

In a magazine they tested this Roon core against the Roon Nucleus Plus, and the author found the Roon core of the MU1 sounded, much to his surprise, better than his Roon Nucleus Plus (maybe because of the high grade clock?).

I had a cheap streamer to dip my toes into the world of Qobuz and Tidal. It sounded good and I wasn't expecting too much from an expensive solution.
Boy, was I wrong!
Our TV hasn't seen much use since we bought the MU1...

Bonne chance Jean-Marc!

Edit: the Lumin U1 was also a candidate, but when you consider the price of a Lumin U1 + a good Roon server + a high quality clock, you easily exceed the retail price of the MU1.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 12-19-2020 at 11:36 AM.