View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 02:13 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
I began to compare and here are my preliminary results:

Bluesound Node 2i: 549 euros, I don't know the brand of the DAC, anyone?
Pioneer N70AE: 1600 euros ESS SABRE 9016 DAC embedded
McINTOSH MDA 1000 : around 10000 euros.

I compared Bluesound first alone with it's own DAC,and via Pioneer's DAC and via McIntosh MDA1000.

I also compared a CD in my MCD1000 through the MDA1000 and through the Pioneer's SABRE.

To make it very short, there are no differences , and if any, not heard by my (old) ears.

I know some of us think that comparisons using in the same time/song the remote control are not the best way to proceed; I also listened some hours to the different combos but I could not say if it was "more comfortable or less harsh or if I was less fatigued" etc...).

I'm exploring further now but I doubt I'll find night and day differences in the weeks to come.

That's why I'm wondering about the benefits I could get with Auralic, Lumin etc.

Did someone the same type of tests?

Or can someone explain?
Jean-Marc, the Bluesound Node2i is a great little unit - just got one to stream into a Feliks Audio Euforia headphone amp, and while I'm still letting the tubes on the amp settle in, the Bluesound uint is a welcome addition to the home's audio setup. Time will tell if I get a DAC or just use the Node2i's DAC for listening to the 'phones. Having that flexibility is nice.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable