View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARQuint View Post
This response is a few weeks late but I just saw the post(s) and did want the chance to engage with the forum on some points regarding rooms and speakers—especially when the conversation can happen in reasoned and civil tones, as is usually the case here.

A couple of comments were made about the size of my listening room, in terms of the space being large enough for 801s. Certainly, the latest version of the Bowers & Wilkins flagship will work well in a much large space than mine. But many audiophiles with a more typical domestic listening environment will want to know if the speaker's a consideration. I've formally reviewed about 30 loudspeakers in this room (and have tried out a few others) and I have a pretty good idea of what will work at this point; so does Robert Harley, who assigns 90% of the products I review. Manufacturers generally do their "due diligence" to assure that they aren't setting a product up for a negative assessment by arranging for it to be heard in an inappropriate setting. So, I can assure you that there's been an informed decision made about bringing a given big loudspeaker to my room.

Nominally, my listening room is 15' x 15', which doesn't sound promising for a larger speaker—but all 15' x 15' rooms aren't created equal. Here's my view of why mine worked out well with the 801 D4s.

• The ceiling is high, and it varies in height, from 10' to 11'6".

• There's a 9' long hallway leading off from one side, even with the right front loudspeaker, as well as other asymmetries/irregularities to the room dimensions. I've positioned GIK diffusers in the middle of the front wall. I usually measure the in-room frequency for each visiting loudspeaker with a Dayton OmniMic system and there haven't been disqualifying room problems—significant modes, etc. I use that information to most effectively dial in a subwoofer, if one's to be used.

• I enjoy relatively near-field listening. I played in orchestras (and rock bands) when I was young, and this audio perspective gives me some of that participatory sense.

Obviously, there's a limit in terms of how large a speaker can go into my room, and I've turned down projects based on my understand of those limits. Clearly, Wilson XVX's or Von Schweikert Ultra 9s don't belong here. But, especially given the specifics of my 15' x 15' room and my listening practices, I feel that the new B&Ws were not mismatched to my space, and that other interested audiophiles with a similar situation should be dissuaded from investigating further. After all, I'd say my review was a positive one.

Thanks for hearing me out. And if anyone's ever in Philly and wants to hear the room (with my usual speakers, Magico M1s) drop me a note and we'll find a time!

Andrew Quint
Senior writer
The Absolute Sound

Hi Andrew, welcome, I guess you mean Magico S1's instead of M1's ?