View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 12:04 PM

Update:

I contacted Esoteric support and was told that while Esoteric does recommend using 50 Ohm cables at the G-01 10MHz OUT connections, "with lengths this short ... impedance is not a problem." If you take a look at the G-01 rear panel, you'll see there is a clear difference in CLOCK OUT BNC connector (75 Ohm) and the 10MHz OUT BNC connector (50 Ohm).

In 2014, I briefly toyed with the idea of getting an external 10MHz reference signal generator to feed the G-01 (shown as connection B in the G-01 Owners Manual on page 8). I contacted Stanford Research Systems (SRS) and asked about their PERF10 Rubidium Audio Clock which has eight 10MHz outputs each with a 75 Ohm BNC connector. I asked SRS if there was going to be an issue using a 75 Ohm BNC cable (PERF10 Output) into the G-01 EXT IN, which has a 50 Ohm BNC connector. SRS responded as follows: "At these frequencies, the 50 Ohm vs. 75 Ohm will not matter. An impedance mismatch can cause reflections, but not at 10MHz to be relevant." I didn't pursue the PERF10 any further.

The recent discussion about using the G-01 10MHz OUT connection to feed the K-01 got me to once again read the G-01 Owners Manual where I found it is possible to use the 10MHz OUT connectors to feed the P-02/D-02 units. Another case of RTFM!!

I will now use my Valhalla V2 75 Ohm BNC cables because although technically there is an impedance mismatch, at the end of the day both Esoteric and SRS say it shouldn't be an issue.

Ken