View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
Tried a 7f7 as an input tube for my Firebottle kt88 the other night. It is the equivalent of a sylvania 6sl7. This one is known as a "chrome dome" because of the way the silver on the inside of the tube extends to cover most of the tube. I've kept my Ferranti 807 tubes in for a while now.

I was initially blown away by the bass this new tube gave me. It was significantly tighter and had more impact than the various 7n7 (sylvania 6sn7) tubes I had been using before. With extended listening I found the higher frequencies to be harder, or at least annoying lol. Went back to the short 7n7 with the small top getter. It is much better tonally and goes just as deep but I do miss that bass crispness.

Sigh, the quest for the perfect input tube continues!
On my Firebottle KT88 HO, when I used a 6SL7 there was a LOT of high frequency detail. At first I was amazed by the detail and big soundstage, but over time it literally gave me headaches.

Briefly tried a 6BX7 and the Inspire tube magic disappeared. Harsher, less natural, less midrange magic.

Over the past 2 years I've exclusively used 6SN7 in both of my Inspire amps. The better ones sound great to my ears. Open, transparent, great midrange, big soundstage, well defined bass. Good high frequency detail without being harsh or bright.

Last edited by Bombadil; 07-13-2021 at 09:15 PM.