View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 09:53 AM

I realize this is an old thread - but the BDA-2 is still available to be purchased new, and I could use some advice as I am considering purchasing.

The features of the BDA-2 are perfect for my needs - I have the following requirements:

1) At least 2 optical inputs
2) At least 1 coax input with RCA connector
3) XLR output to preamp

The BDA-2 meets these requirements. However, since this is 2020, and this unit's design is 8+ years old, I am a little concerned. 8 years is an eternity for what is essentially computer hardware.

The newer BDA-3 and BDA-3.14 are much newer in design, but do not have the inputs I need, in addition to being significantly more expensive (pretty much out of my price range).

What is this forum's opinion on buying a new DAC with an 8-year old design? Especially since it is still selling for $2845. Am I foolish for investing this much money in a DAC with an old design? FYI, this is replacing the DAC in my Parasound P6 preamp, which uses the Sabre chip. Would the BDA-2 be an upgrade over the P6's internal DAC?

Opinions and thoughts? Are there other DACS meeting my requirements I should look at? Must have an out-the-door cost of less than $3K.