View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 07:44 PM

Back to the OP’s question, I think as Stephen says the latest Alpha v2 would be a meaningful upgrade. The latest noise reduction technology employed by Shunyata does its job well. If that’s not in the budget, I don’t think you’d gain by buying used Alpha v1.

As for brand synergy, my experience has been that this can be good with analog signal cables, i.e. speaker and interconnect, since they can have an impact on tonal balance, but it’s less important that you go with the same brand for digital and power as you do analog signal. Just my opinion of course, even though I’m all Shunyata.

If it were me, I’d start with the Shunyata digital cable, but find a way to swing the Alpha v2. The next step would be ICs, then SCs, and here I think you’d do well with either the Kimber or Shunyata upgrade. And as Craig points out, rental or some sort of trial first is a great way to approach this. In the price range you’re considering, it’s always good to try before you buy.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2