View Single Post
Old 02-18-2024, 01:42 AM
Just Pure Lucky

I found this I wrote back in 2010:

Had a couple emails w/Ron-C and a very short conversation w/Ron Evans (MC2301 designer/engineer @ McIntosh) regarding the power tubes for the MC2301 and thought I'd share what I know and what I learned so owners and prospective owners are a bit smarter & a wee-bit more knowledgeable when it comes to the power tubes in a MC2301 (and the 12AT7’s).

**First off, as we have heard here and elsewhere, matching of KT88's is not a big deal for this amp. "Don't get hung up on testing/matching power tubes as this will not increase their lifespan".

**What's critical for amplifier performance is based on two designs of the unity coupled output:
a. How well matched the idle current is on the right and left power tube banks.
b. The maximum cathode and plate current capabilities.

**Degradation of a power tube(s) will display itself with clipping as power is increased (there is a way in which to troubleshoot to a degree w/o a tester --keep reading).

**If you notice the 8 power tube slots are labeled V1-/V1+, V2-/V2+, V4-/V4+ and V5-/V5+. Each - (right bank) and + (left bank) pair works together push/pull, cathode and plate since they are unity coupled.

** Now, this is the most significant tidbit I learned -- those 8 power tubes are further grouped into a quad -- the front four (V1-/V5+, V2-/V4+) being separate from the rear four (V4-/V2+, V5-/V1+) as a design feature of the balanced design. What's cool about this is, each quad (per se) can be removed and the amp powered up and operated (carefully) -- this allows one to help isolate at least down to a quad which tube may be susceptible to giving the owner fits.

**Again, stock power tubes should be "looked at" after around 3000 hours and expect them to last between 5K & 10K hours.

** The most critical tube in the MC2301 are the two 12AT7A’s (slots V3-/V3+) which "work hard as they drive the KT88s". These are preferred to be matched and in optimum operating condition.

**Unlike all other McIntosh tube amp designs, the MC2301 is balanced with separate hot and ground connections for 2, 4, and 8 ohms. All other McIntosh tube amps use one common ground for all three impedances.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M StarlightŪ 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.