View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 12:36 PM

One of my favorite AC/DC albums!
I have most of the cd versions with different masters -
Albert 80's Australian, ATCO remaster (Albert Australian version), US Atlantic issue, Marino 2003 remaster - I think they're all pretty good. The only one I don't listen to anymore is the ATCO 90's remaster (Ted Jensen, I believe). I didn't like those in the late 90's/early 2000's but its' been a long time and many stereo components since I last heard them, so it may be time to revisit those. But back when they were released, 20 years ago, I thought the original Atlantic discs were better, to my ears.
I've even warmed up to the Marino 2003 discs. They're compressed to death, but... it's AC/DC and the mastering doesn't sound entirely out of place. George Marino brought out richer instrument tones from the tapes so on one hand it's squashed but on the other it kind of sounds good to me. I don't reach for them first, but for somebody that wants to buy AC/DC on disc, it's a cheap and easy place to start.
Of course, I expect further remasters to take a more natural, less compressed approach, hopefully.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables