View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
My experience with the ZBit has been sort of frustrating ... It sounds nice with the Decware Mini Torii (6V6 SEP) but it won't do anything for me when applied directly to my DACT Inspire SET. I suspect the passive DACT is a variable getting in the way of the ZBit, for some reason. And, yeah, its a lot of money for not being able to use it, as I don't listen to the Mini Torii anymore, no contest!

I haven't heard any of the other Decware amps, so I cannot comment on their differences with the Mini, but I can tell you I know many people who swear by the Super Zen, all over the Internet, and is not an expensive choice. I was tempted for a while, but the lacking power made me look somewhere else, luckily, Dennis Had's designs.

BTW, I'm all for tele-transportation
OK, great news from this last weekend ... I tried the ZBit directly to my Inspire amp again, which by now is already semi-seasoned, and I was gladly surprised! The ZBit makes this combo (no Preamp) better sounding with my best acoustic music tube complement so far, based on the 6P3S-E output tube.

More detailed, neutral and great bass ... very tangible difference when using a balanced signal into the Inspire. It seems when I tried the ZBit initially, the amp was not settled and no synergies were triggered then, so I had discarded that option. Sound with the ZBit was dark and seemed to suck the life out of may Inspire amp. I always wondered what had happened, though, so I decided to give it a try again yesterday, with the Inspire now running at full colors ...

Now, it is my first choice for the acoustic/vocals selections ... I cannot dismiss the LP-27a for the orchestral pieces, though, given its higher gain and dynamics, especially when running KT88's. The LP-27a makes everything sound second best, plus it has all that added headroom of its additional gain coupled with larger output tubes.

I will never again underestimate the trick under the sleeve of a balanced signal. So, it is ZBit/Inspire with 6P3S-E for acoustic Jazz and Vocals, and LP-27a / Inspire with KT88's for large-orchestra music. Both these combinations having been individually complement-optimized as explained in earlier messages ... Further progress is good, and I at least finally get to enjoy the ZBit.

Having said that, I'll eventually re-try the 6V6's with the ZBit, although with my particular tube samples it is unlikely these will ever sound as good as the Russian golden Pin 6P3S-E, even coupled with the ZBit.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 03-28-2016 at 06:02 PM.