View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 03:54 PM
McKlipschead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
I remember back around 1974-1975, when I had just gotten my first "high power" amp-my Crown DC300, and I kept blowing the voice coils in my AR-2AX's that I was using at the time....I walked in a store called Stereo Center in Vestal, NY and listened to a pair of Belles, they were being driven by an SAE amp (2600 I think). The guy was playing Joe Walsh's Turn to Stone and he had it really cranked up. I went home devastated because I knew I needed better speakers, the Belles cost about $2000/pair I think at that time. I bounced around from mediocre speaker to mediocre speaker until around '78 when I got my pair of JBL L100's, and although they were'nt in the league with the Belles, they were the cat's meow at the time for that price/size class.

I still remember Joe Walsh cranking on the Belle's....

Pete
Back in the 80's I almost bought a pair of Belles from Audio Labs here in town, but they were $2575/pair at the time, so I went with a new pair of lacquered walnut '84 Cornwalls instead for $1300. Twenty years later Klipsch priced the Belles at $5500 so I held off once again, and then a year or two later they were discontinued