View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncha View Post
I enjoyed the video but I have to disagree with Rick's assertion that Miles was the most important jazz musician of all time. To me that's saying that a branch is more important than the trunk - the trunk is Louis Armstrong. Wynton Marsalis said something to the effect that if you want to play jazz you have to go through Louis Armstrong. Dizzy said it more simply "..no him, no me."
It's all very subjective. There are the well known Jazz and other genre legends and no doubt Louis Armstrong inspired countless others and no doubt Miles Davis himself was a fan.

But times change and music moves forward. Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis in turn inspired countless other musicians that came after them and moved past Louis Armstrong.

I have tremendous respect for all Jazz musicians and I do enjoy listening to Louis Armstrong but I do tend to listen to more Dizzy and Miles than Louis myself. But I will not go too long without listening to at least a few albums here and there of Louis. His scat singing is hard to resist. https://youtu.be/pPHNg5tL8KU