View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds7368 View Post
No but I owned 800D2s for 5 years, and recently I heard an in-home demo of A5s at my business partner’s house, with all MSB electronics, Otari R2R, compared to 800Ds as his main speakers. The 800 series have much more bass, quite fun actually, ported so not quite as “accurate” a presentation, but the A5s would need a subwoofer in his large room. Otherwise the A5s had a more accurate and better detailed midrange and treble, using 30ips 1/2 inch reel to reel tape, close the masters, as our source. My conclusion was in a medium room the A5s would be great, but in a larger room the 800 series would be preferred unless running a subwoofer with the A5s. He kept his 800Ds.
You are talking about 800 D(1) and 800 D2.
The 800 D3 is a different animal altogether, a completely new construction and a huge step up compared to its predecessors. (I went from 800 D2 to 800 D3).
To unleash the full potential of the 800 D3, just good sources, amplification and cables are not sufficient.
Sources, amplification and cables as well as electronic room correction need to be at the same absolute top level as the speakers themselves (e.g. Accuphase, Audioquest WEL, dCS).

Martin