Thread: RCM thoughts
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2021, 05:00 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Joel, I'm very happy with my new Degritter. I'm in the process of cleaning all my records with the new machine. That said, I haven't owned any other RCM, so can't provide a comparison, although it's obviously not the only quality option. For me, the price point was attractive, and I'm a big fan of anything Estonian (our piano is an Estonia and we toured the factory in Talinn). Played one LP before and after and although the record was newly purchased, there was an improvement with less 'snap-crackle-and-pop'. There are three cleaning cycles and you can adjust drying time (faster-noisier) and the user interface is excellent. One tip - turn on the machine and check via the menu for the firmware version, and compare that to what Degritter lists online vs. bothering downloading the firmware onto an SD card first. My machine was up-to-date out of the box.

The only downside, for some, is its noise - I've got mine in my office where it's convenient to use, but I'm definitely not going to play a Chopin nocturne while running the machine; the drying cycle is almost like running a vacuum cleaner.

After having cleaned all my records once, I'm not sure to what extent I will use it in the future. Certainly not after every play of a record, and I know some of the old jazz LPs that survived Mom and Dad's cocktail parties back in the day will need extra care, so it will be on an as-needed basis.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser