View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM

I am a mech engineer working for SA's biggest Aerospace manufacturer, direct supplier to Boeing and Airbus. Even before the virus we started the year with a layoff program for around 10% of our staff due to Boeings halt of production and subsequent slowdown of production on the 737 MAX. Now off course we affected on all Airbus work with aerospace taking a particularly large knock thus far. Wife is an accountant with a law firm and we will both work from home during lockdown which is set to end 16 Apr but could easily be extended.
Completed Audyssey yesterday, sub is placed just to the front and outside of the R speaker but calcalulated to be 3ft behind the speaker. Volume reduced by -10db. This is similar to what I am using for stereo on XLR LFE based on hearing, using around -6 to -8 based on the music track. Luckily this gives more than enough leeway to use the gain control in the app.
I installed a switch on the amp power chord (cannot switch the mains off everytime as I am running multiple equipment from the same power conditioner. With no way to disable auto-on this works - must switch off the sub and then the switch before it powers on again - this is bad design from B&W.
Apart from this issue I can report that I am extremely impressed and satisfied with the sub, very tangible improvement over the PV1D which is not a bad sub for music at all. Watched a few music DVD's and listened to many tracks (Roon/Tidal) and the sub blends perfectly with the 804D3's. What amazes is how much it adds even at lower playing volumes, here it is a vast improvement over the PV1D.
I also considered JL Audio F110 V2's (the 112 is too big) but the problem is that in SA the F110 is more expensive than the DB2D! Direct imports whereas B&W has a big local agent and of course benefits from volume selling. REL's here are not well represented and I was not considering SVS.
Looking forward to many hours of listening bliss, as long as B&W does not further screw up the app options. I think they are trying to simplify it too much and taking control out of the hands of the user, a bit of an Apple like approach