View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 11:52 PM

Default Isolated Ground on Duplex Receptacle

Hey,

I am going to install 2 PS Audio Power Port duplex receptacles for the hi fi system of a buddy audiophile of mine this weekend, and I have some questions regarding the fact that these duplexes have an isolated ground.

He has two 15A 14/2 romex dedicated lines. Each line will have a single duplex, and that's it. I know the Power Ports are 20A and that by code it's illegal to wire a 20A duplex on a 15A line but my friend does not have power hungry components and he will be only using 15A anyway so this should be fine. His house was built in 2012 so electrical is fairly recent.

So, about the isolated ground, how to I wire this with a 14/2 wire? Do I do like any other duplex where I wire the black wire on the brass screw, the white wire on the silver screw and the bare copper ground wire on the ground screw? I have read online that a third red wire would be used with those duplexes. I am a bit perplexed on this. I understand that the two ground pins are connected to the ground screw and that the ground screw is isolated from the yolk. So if I wire like I do normally with standard duplexes, it should not be an issue.. unless I missed something?

Thanks for your input