View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghasley View Post
Yes I have. It doesnt give up much, if anything. I have in another system an Aqua La Scala fed by i2s from an Aqua Linq as well as fed by USB via my Innuos Zenith and it is slightly different but not discernably so.

Every time I use my 866 fed music over ethernet using its internal dac I think of how much money I might have saved over the years on cables and attempts at system matching. The digital version of the 866 may be all any music lover would ever need provided they can be happy not tweaking cables, tubes, power cables, etc, (wondering what two different versions of the same tube might bring to the table).

I have purchased two identical 866's. The 866 is the real deal. Its not fussy, it just gets it right. Its the equivalent to finding out on your blind date with a supermodel that she is intelligent, is grounded, has great values and actually likes you for the same reasons. A silly analogy I know but its one of those audio purchases that seems like a no-brainer after you've lived with it for a while.
Hi Ghasley, I was just curious. Why did you end up purchasing two of them, for two different set ups? I have to say that is quite the endorsement. You certainly make a good argument to when you consider separates, and the extra costs of cables etc. Did you compare the 866 against some of the boulder separates, like in the 1100 series? If so, did the 866 get most of what they have to offer?