Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Makes one wonder if the Balanced Pagoda would be worth the additional $$? Have an available set of XLR-in on my preamp.
There is a lot of reviews and information out there on the Pagoda so I won't repeat or copy in much here. I know someone who has the Havana, Pagoda, and the new Orchid. We spoke at great length and he helped me to narrow it down between the Pagoda and the new Orchid. Different chips, different type of sound. This is sort of what he said, take it all with a grain of salt...results may vary for others and their systems, but he said "Pagoda is little brighter and more detailed with a little more air up top if that's what you need possibly for more laid back gear/speakers". Orchid is a tad more laid back with less air "and a little smoother" compared to the Pagoda but detail still comes through on the new Orchid is kinda how he described it to me. Also, this is consistent with the different chips and separate reviews. I have not heard the Pagoda, but I gather it might be better suited towards less revealing (more laid back) speakers. It's funny, each long term owner I spoke with who loves MHDT has at least 2 flavors and likes both DACs for different reasons. I feel lucky now just to own one of them. Cool things is, each of the units are well known to be sensitive to tube changes and can be further tuned from there...same as some amps we know of