View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 04:03 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

There was a time when Haitink impressed me less than now. I'll write that off to naivete on my part. What bought him my highest respect and convinced me that he is one of the world's top-most conductors is his work with Mahler and Shostakovich. He did full cycles of both composer's symphonies. He also recorded a full cycle of Bruckner's symphonies, which I have not heard.

Thank you Mijnheer Haitink - you will be missed.

One of the best tributes to a great conductor is to play one of his performances.

Try these:

As an evocative performance and truly natural sounding recording as I've heard from a Mahler 2 - it makes some of the modern performances sound antiseptic. Released in 1969, Concertgebouw Orchestra and Netherlands Rundfunkchoir.

Wonderfully natural integration of the choristers and soloists with the orchestra -they have their parts but are not spotlit and truly blend well. Elly Ameling gives a heartfelt rendition. The performance is measured almost stately which at first seemed stilted but eventually I caught on to Haitink's plan. I found the final movement quite emotional and natural. Highly recommended.

The battle of Stalingrad 1943