View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 06:22 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post

The power cord from the wall to the Typhon is a Python. I know that's an older cord, and from the sound has ferrite beads inside the sheath that rattle around when it's moved. Any information on the relative performance of this cord would be appreciated.

... I'd hoped to see a reduction in noise as measured with the Entech Line Noise analyzer. I plugged the analyzer into the circuit with the Hydras removed and set the gain to 100. I installed the Hydras and powered everything up. I checked the Entech in the amp outlet and the noise dropped ~2 points. I plugged it into the Triton and it was the same. I then plugged it into the front end outlet and got about the same reading. It seems pretty bizarre not to see any measurable improvement. I did not pick up any AM, so that's a good thing I suppose. I also ordered some ferrite beads that I can clamp onto the 10awg Romex that might help reduce the noise floor more.
Fwiw, those are not ferrite beads slithering around in the Python. It a proprietary Shunyata compound that is, or is similar to their proprietary ZrCa2000 and tuned to absorb non-musical energy in the megahertz and into the gigahertz ranges. Irc, Shunyata believes it is clearly sonically superior to ferrite beads.

With regard to measurement testing ...

There is an interesting post from Grant Samuelson about using the IDEAL SureTest analyzer to measure Shunyata products on a different forum (Whiskey Bravo Foxtrot) - a direct reference to which here is VERBOTEN. There is also a lengthy thread named "Measuring power line noise with the TriField EM100, and the impressive effect of Shyunyata products" on the same forum wherein the Entech device is also discussed. I believe you know where this can be found if you've not seen it already.