View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Hi Guys

Did the noise issue with the GAT get resolved - well no.

Just tonight another EH 6922 went noisy. I am now down to my last 2 cj EH 6922's.

I have gone through I think about 12.

I was thinking about getting a pair of Telefunken E88CC/6922's but with several months per set, probably not great value.

How does Cryo treatment on the tubes do for reliability and sound?

BTW, Lew did tell me a while back that the plate voltage should be around 85 Volts (say + or - 5 Volts), and the cathode very close to 2.1 volts. If the voltages are right, then the tubes are operating correctly.

I do need to take my GAT to the the tech to get this measured now that I am down to my last two tubes.

cheers
Telefunken tubes were highly regarded in the 50s and 60s. Back then tube amps were normally very rolled off in the treble because of the quality of the coupling capacitors of the day. The Telefunken had very pronounced treble which balanced things. The Telefunken does not match well with modern tube gear. They sound strident and cause listening fatigue after a while IMO. people pay serious money for them only to find out that they don't like them.
A Gold Lion 6922 would be a much better match for the GAT. The Matsushita 7DJ8 is also great, warm, transparent and images very good.