View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 09:44 PM

Cool Opinions needed: My new Excite X-44s seem to have a hot upper mid range to me...

I, for some time, researched and debated between Focus 360 or Excite X-44, both the largest towers in their respective lines. I found nice used sets of each, but the 360 seller did not want to ship, so I picked up a mint demo set of X-44. I would like to solicit opinions on a couple of aspects of their sound signatures.

These two can now be found at similar prices on the used market. Which would you choose for best deep bass performance in an untreated family room, and why?(Yes, I know about subwoofers and room correction, but I'm a sucker for big floor standing speakers!) Dynaudio specs the X-44 down to 27 Hz, and the 360 down to 31 Hz. But the Focus 360 has a larger cabinet and is 14 pounds heavier, with a similar driver arrangement. So, I'm not sure which would actually have the better in-room bass performance.

For reference, here are the Dynaudio web pages for each of them:

https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinue...ocus/focus-360
https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/excite/x44

Now, with regard to my X-44s, I've been listening to them for about three days now. I sit about 10 feet from the speakers. The dealer indicated that they may still need some break-in, if that is even a thing. What I'm concerned about is that they seem sort of "bright" and piercing to me in the upper mid range and female vocals, in comparison to my current Legacy Audio Signature IIs, which are from the 1990s. It's like perhaps the Excite series are more oriented towards home theater. Or, perhaps, are most speakers these days tuned a bit "brighter" than in the 1990s? I'm afraid that these Excite 44s are not going to be as listenable over longer periods than my old Legacys, but I also wonder if the Focus series would have been more to my liking.

I guess, more important than my bass question is, in your opinion, is there a significant difference in the mid-range voicing between the Excite series and Focus series? Thanks for any input.

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!