View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 12:10 PM

prepress, I like everything about the 3500's and sonically they continue to improve. Little indistinct bass notes have become more distinct than with the 1.25. Increased bass resolution and resolution across the entire frequency spectrum has been a surprise while maintaining a smooth relaxed non analytical presentation. There's nothing "hyper" or exaggerated sonically about these amps. They are neutral with a gorgeous soundstage.

I have read a lot about the 1502. it sounds like it is cut from the same cloth and that one could reasonably expect a similar sonic presentation.

I don't think this is criticism of the 1.25. Rather I think that to achieve this kind of performance one might have to go with something like the darTZeel NHB-468 Monoblock, reviewed in the latest issue of TAS. These amps go for 238K/pair, are SS, and are 625 watts into 4 ohms, very similar to a 3500 in power.

The sonic presentation of the 1.25KW is superior. Unless you are willing to pay 238K, I think they have reached to the limit of SS. The 1.25 is not hyper, exaggerated, or analytical in any way. It's a great SS amp, but not the best, but close.

Which would I personally choose, the DarTZ's vs the 1.25's. Definitely the 1.25's. I like Mac. I like the reliability, the appearance, the meters, and its sonics. I was completely satisfied sonically with the 1.25's. I have no doubt I could go back to them and enjoy them tremendously.

When the 3500's appeared it gave me opportunity to experience the ultimate for an insignificant amount of money. I have been extremely fortunate. I think it the best tube amp on the market and now believe tubes are sonically superior to the very best SS.

Again, if I had to choose between only a 3500 vs a 1.25, it would be the 1.25's. If I have a failure, within 15 minutes the 1.25's will be powered up and I'll be quite happy.

I'm writing this because if you are considering Mac SS amp you should not let my positive comments on tubes deter you. Mac SS is smooth with plenty of bass, space, resolution, and a beautiful wide and deep soundstage. You are not going to surpass it unless you are ready to pay out the huge bucks. Even then, I'd personally prefer the Mac because of all the intangibles you get with Mac, the absolute price notwithstanding.

Best

Charles