View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
...FreddieFerric, before you send in your MK5 for an upgrade, you should compare the price of an upgrade vs selling your MK5 and getting a G model. The MK5 will likely get you a good amount of money.
I already have a 10K vinyl rig that is my reference. I put the 1210 in the system just to spin mono recordings. I'll be putting an Ortofon 3M White Mono cart on it soon. The KAB upgrades are not that expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Yes. There are significant improvements between the new and old models that no upgrades can compensate for. These advances are the reasons the new models are accepted as "audiophile grade",, for lack of a better term.
Rewiring the tonearm with Cardas wire from the headshell pins to the RCA outputs will be a significant upgrade since I can use far better cabling than the stock stuff.

The tonearm damping is also reported to offer a sonic improvement.

Otherwise I agree, improving its sound can only go so far.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)