View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 08:14 AM

Default Does a streamer make a difference in SQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Let’s talk about streamers for a bit of context.
Every streamer is a digital computer. It may have a special operating system and a nice case and display, but it is a computer.

The job of a streamer is to present bit perfect data to your DAC. They all do this well, even the sub $100 Raspberry Pi’s

What’s next? The clock.

If your interface is S/PDIF or AES/EBU then the ultimate performance is determined by the quality of the clock used to output the data to your DAC. Adding a clock will make a difference here, unless the streamer has an outstanding internal clock.

If you are using USB, then your DAC determines the critical timing parameters and an expensive clock in your streamer is wasted.

So what’s left? Noise.

To say that computers as a class are dirty is a prejudicial comment without merit. Some computers have noisy USB outputs, some don’t. Just as some commercial streamers have paid ultimate attention to the elimination of noise, and some haven’t.

DAC’s vary significantly in their attenuation of noise and jitter at their digital inputs.

The Schiit Yggdrasil with Unison USB is an example of a USB input that is completely electrostatically and electromagnetically isolated. This input is also powered by the DAC instead of the computer, so electrical noise on the streamer USB output doesn’t matter.

If you like to DIY and you have a USB DAC that is immune to noise then the RPi is an excellent solution.

If you are using AES/EBU or S/PDIF then the streamer clock makes a big difference and you are into some coin to get a commercial streamer with the ability to add an external clock or one with a great internal clock.
Tom, nicely stated. As always, I can count on you making a complicated subject seem simple. I know this thread is a few months old but I came across it in my research that started with the question "Does a streamer make a difference in SQ?" From your explanation I not only see it does but have a direction where to start looking for new equipment. Well done!

Jean-Marc or Jimmy did you ever decide on a streamer? Findings? I'm in a similar situation, I currently use Bluesound devices with a C2700 DAC and am wondering if a more costly streamer would yield better SQ. The Grimm MU1 is intriguing but at that price it should tick a lot of boxes like server, clock, etc. as mentioned here.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500