View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 05:45 AM

If I had to pick an off the shelf chip on which to design a DAC, the AKM449x series (also used in Linn, Esoteric/Teac and of course the Bryston) would be it. I can imagine there are instances where some might prefer it over the PS Audio - which imho still sounds better and from my perspective, a great design that lends itself to constant (free) software upgrades as PS Audio has demonstrated since 2014.

That said, I think the current architecture is due for a refresh. And the new Obsidian DAC is that answer. I understand the DirectStream will get a hardware upgrade to bring the hardware up to spec with the Obsidian. (Similar to how the PerfectWave got an upgrade to MkII and then the DirectStream).

I’ve been pitting the PS Audio DirectStream against the Chord DAVE for the last 3 years and I reckon in a like-for-like source, the DAVE is still a more engaging and detailed sound. Even with the latest Snowmass (the buggy one that sounds better to me IMHO).

But the Bridge II really elevates the performance that I feel reduces that stark difference I heard with different sources. Ditto with the Memory Tramsport.

I’m looking forward to getting the hardware upgrade.