View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 06:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmk View Post
I own dual Carbon Special subwoofers. The products that I'm using is
called EVP pads in large size (Equipment Vibration Protectors) by the company A/V RoomService. My system is in a finished basement but perhaps these would benefit you. Good luck.
Yes, absolutely they would. EVPs are what I use under my REL sub as well. My townhome is on the "second floor' and runs along a set of garages below it on the first level. As such, my floor is "suspended", i.e., not set onto a slab.

Here's a diagram from Norm's site at A/V Roomservice that illustrates accurately the improvement that the EVP's provide. Look at the diagram carefully. Note how the sub in the right panel is on EVPs, and the sub in the left panel is not. When I did this experiment for myself, I then understood exactly what this illustration was referring to. Look at the illustration carefully. Note the "walls" on the figure on the left, and how they are "wavy" and vibrating. Then, look at the walls in the right panel, and they are not vibrating. This is an accurate graphical example of exactly what the EVPs do.

Based on Norm Varney of A/V Roomservice's recommendation, i put an EVP under each foot of my REL sub and was shocked at how much quieter the room became. Turns out that the sub's energy couples to the floor, which is tied to the walls, which are drywall construction. When the energy from the sub couples to the floor and then the drywall-constuction walls, the walls then resonate at...70 Hz. And believe me, the impact of this is very audible.

When I put my REL on the EVPs, not only did the "sub-bass" performance improve, but more importantly, the room itself became much QUIETER.

It was something of a revelation, but given Norm's expertise, not an unexpected one.

Here is a reference link for EVPs. My recommendation is to read this carefully.
https://avroomservice.com/wp-content...Spec-Sheet.pdf

What I've also learned is that much like Caelin at Shunyata, or JR Boisclair for turntable set-up, Norm Varney is REAL deal. When he conveys information about room design, room acoustics, vibration, you can take it to the bank, as the saying goes.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-27-2023 at 07:22 PM.