View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead View Post
Hi all. I’ve had my MA352 since early November 2021. I would say overall I am pretty happy with it. I did have an experience similar to what DavidParis described above. Right out of the box, it sounded pretty good. Then about 40 hours in, it turned very harsh sounding with sibilance in the treble of anything I listened to. Didn’t matter if it was an analog or digital source. I stuck with it thinking maybe it just needed more time to burn in. At about 80 hours, the harshness went away. It has not returned since. I have no idea if it was the tubes, the amplifier section, or what, but it was a very noticeable transformation.
Hello,
Sorry you weren't absolutely convinced and "blown away", as the meaningless and contrite expression goes, by the MA352. I had high hopes and gave it a full two months. I stopped counting at 150 hours and it never was a bit musical. You can't please everyone I suppose and my idea of good sound will be different to another person's ideal. I have since traded it in, at a loss, to upgrade my older Naim electronics that do indeed correspond to my expectations.

Another thing that literally bothered me to no end was the numerous McIntosh dealers and their sales techniques and spiels. Atleast 10 different dealers in the US, 2 or 3 in the UK and as many here in France all INSISTED that the MA352 would be "perfect, awesome, a match made in heaven" with my current equipment. Each and everyone of them was dead wrong. They're sole preoccupation was to make a sale and move on to the next customer. Get this, NOT ONE DEALER even asked about lmy listening space, my sonic goals and preferences and NOT ONE even asked about the type of music I listen to. Anybody noobie with 5 minutes of experience knows full well that specific music types are better reproduced with certain equipment. For example, the person who listen to opera and 17th century clavecin will not require the same system or amplification as a heavy-metal headbanger. It's just common sense. I have subsequently lost all confidence with dealers, online reviewers, the HiFi press, etc. It's all about $turnover and advertising dollars.
So, the McIntosh definitely wasn't for me but as we know everyone's mileage may vary. Good luck with your quest. Brgds.