View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofan1 View Post
Looking forward to your impressions.

Congrats!
Well, on Saturday I played a familiar track, "I'd Rather Go Blind" from a live BD of Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa, and noted the top end and maybe the upper midrange were more open, and with more detail. The same with another JB track, "Woke up Dreaming" from Joe's Carnegie Hall BD. Instruments had just a touch more realism in their sound. And on my Hans Zimmer Live in Prague BD, the bass solo in "Rainman" exhibited more detail than before. But I don't know what produced that, exactly. The Saturday before the Venoms' arrival, new speaker cables showed up (Transparent Plus) and I'd been putting some hours on them with the tuner, hoping to break them in a bit before company comes this Saturday (10/9). That continued once the V10s were in place. I'd also switched my BD player out for a Pioneer Elite 88FD, with its ESS DAC set to 24/96, replacing a Pioneer Elite 09 with Wolfson 24/48 DACs. The BD tracks mentioned above were the first familiar material I'd played with the new stuff in place.

One thing I will say is I'm impressed by the flexibility of the Venoms; the Transparent Premiums are quite stiff in comparison.

I'm quite busy trying to get my place together for company, but perhaps once things settle down I'll go back and see if I can determine what's responsible for what I heard this past weekend. I still have the Venom HCs the V10s replaced and would start there.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 10-08-2021 at 08:56 PM.