View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark2 View Post
W9TR -- Well this is my entry into the world of separate DACs, having started with the built-in one in my BlueSound Node 2i. According to www.audiosciencereview.com, the specs on the D50s are MUCH better, at $250 the price was right, and it sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not ready to spend vastly more money to experiment with another DAC. (I'm also not sure I'm ready to spend a couple of hundred on a glass TOSLINK cable just to see if it's noticeably better than plastic.) Is there a DAC for a reasonable price that would be a step up (preferably with a working digital-coax input)?

Cheers! -- Clark2
I’m a fan of Schiit DAC’s. Modius is decent, Bifrost is the start of what I consider to be decent DAC’s. I current own a Yggy and it is a great DAC. There are plenty better but at 5x to 10x the cost. I can also recommend the Benchmark DAC 3. Another excellent DAC.

Spending money in a glass toslink cable will do nothing. Toslink just works, even with plastic cables.

Using asr as the only source of information on a product is a path to audio disappointment. I bought my D50 on a glowing asr recommendation. It is by far the worst sounding DAC I own. I’ve relegated it to a gaming system.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v