View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
After listening to a pair of Klipsch Fortes for around twelve years,I bought what were probably the last available pair of Matrix 801 S3 speakers in B&W's US warehouse in 1998, just as the Nautilus line came out. I put them on Sound Anchor stands and installed the North Creek external crossovers. Yes, they were odd looking, but they sounded wonderful. I did not hear anything better until 2018 when I auditioned the 802D3s and subsequently bought a pair. The rosenut 802s look a lot nicer, too, and my wife no longer complains about hideous black boxes in the living room. I traded in the 801s for about half what I paid for them (not too bad for a 20 year old speaker). The dealer promptly sold them for $1000 more, and who ever bought them got a very fair deal for a pair of terrific speakers. I have now climbed up the High End tree about as far as I am willing to go, and the 802D3s will likely end up as part of my estate, and sooner than I probably will like.

Sleeper, I also had Klipsch Forte 2s as my college speakers. Great times playing REM, Roxy Music, Rolling Stones, even classical! Thanks for the trip down memory lane while I stay sequestered inside ....