View Single Post
Old 12-13-2021, 06:20 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
I took the plunge and ordered 2 RELs Carbon Special

I plan to follow REL's instructions of hooking these up via High Level Input to each of the MC611s, and XLR LFE input to the 2 Marantz 8805 sub outs.

Does any of you have similar hook up in their system with the Carbon Special who can share their insights (Dos / Donts)?

I reached out to McIntosh (Chuck Hinton) and he initially recommended to hook up the REL via Low Level RCA inputs to the preamp variable outs and did not recommend using the speaker level connection on MC611. I then sent him the note published by REL on the preferred method of connecting to monoblocs using high level input, and he replied in his email that either approach is ok, and it's up to me to decide.

I wonder if anyone of you have first hand experience on either approach, and what is the best way to connect the RELs to the MC611s and 8805A surround processor. Any guidance is much appreciated

Many thanks.

Hi, you'll be very pleased with your new pair!
The most important upgrade of our system we made the last years.

For stereo, the high level input is preferred. That is what our dealer suggested (and he's REL's favourite dealer of my country). I was surprised that we only had to dial the volume at +/- 25%. I think we ended at about 35-37 Hz.

For surround, we went with RCA-cables from our Marantz 8802A sub outs.

It's all working very well, you don't hear the subs (until you turn them off!), you just feel them (at high volumes).

Good luck!

PS. There was only one negative: we had to wait 4 months...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables