Thread: active x-overs
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 03:29 PM

Just wanted to close the loop here, and hopefully help someone else.... Thanks for the helpful responses folks.

I did use try the MLs built in crossover, and it accomplished what I wanted, but I wasn't overly impressed with the results. Seems I lost some transparency and dynamics, and some slight noise was introduced.

I haven't tried any of the active x-over solutions listed here, but what has really worked for quite nicely, are a pair of FMOD passive 2nd order high pass filters from Harrison Labs. I bought the 50 and 70 Hz filters and both work nicely, and they were under $35 per stereo pair.

I think I prefer the 70 hz filter better (which also helps with a 60 hz in room bump), and that's what's connected to my amp at this time, while my preamp's secondary output is connected directly to my ML sub. I really can't tell they are there other than filtering out the low bass to my Omega Super Alnico monitors. The -12db point is somewhere around 35hz. They do enough to get rid of the midrange distortion caused by trying to reproduce the low bass, and now I can play my Omegas louder and cleaner, without any strain or distortion. I don't hear any negative side affects. These were a win for me!

Not a shill, just a happy camper!