View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 01:52 PM

Default JVC/Sony 4K Laser Projectors

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on a possible upgrade for my HT projector. I have had a Pioneer Elite Pro-FPJ1 (1080P, 600 lumen, 200w lamp) for quite some time and have the upgrade bug. Last year I took some serious consideration into a JVC DLA-NX7 (4K, 1,900 lumen, 265w lamp), but due to availability and then disinterest, I never followed through. Looking now it appears that both Sony & JVC offer laser projectors in the $6-12k range that I am willing to spend.

Sticking with basically the JVC side, the DLA-NZ7R (4K laser, 2,200 lumens, and motorized lens) appeared to be the better choice for me, but it looks like all JVC projectors are back ordered because of chip shortages.

I looked into Sony as well, and their two models in my price range; VPLXW500ES and the VPLXW600ES (both 4K laser). The manual/standard 4K lens drives me away from the 500ES, so the 600ES with additional lumens (2,500 vs 2,000) and motorized/ACF-lens seems the much better option. Both Sony models also appear to be currently in stock.

I have what I would call a very well light controlled room if need be, and believe my 120” StudioTek 130 G4 screen would be more than OK for pretty much any projector. I’m also thinking the new laser options would be better than lamp (picture, cost of replacement lamps, etc)?

I’m trying to educate myself before making a final decision, so any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. It seem that JVC or Sony seem to be the brands to stick with. I also plan to try and see some options in person when time becomes available.

McIntosh: C2700, MC462, MC8207, MEN220, MX122, MVP901, MPC1500, MXA60, MB20
Streaming: Mac Mini (Tidal, Apple Music)
Speakers: XR100 mains, LCR80 center, Definitive Technology surrounds
Sub: 2x JL Audio Fathom f113's
Projector: Sony VPL-XW6000ES, Lumagen Radiance Pro UltraHD Processor
Screen: Stewart Filmscreen 120" StudioTek 130 G4
Cables: WireWorld
Cooling: AC Infinity (Controller 8 w/ 3x Airplate S9's)