View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Exclamation Be Careful What You Wish For!

kfr01: Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your post. I am impressed that you were able to be happy for 5 years without the itch to upgrade. I try not to fix things that aren't broken myself.

Here's my take on your McIntosh vs. Bryston dilema: This is in no way to knock Bryston gear. In fact, what I have read recently indicates that the Bryston house sound has evolved somewhat from what used to be considered hyper-analytical or even overly bright to a smoother, cleaner sound, while retaining some of the best detail retreival in the business. That said, you should proceed with caution. What sounds clearer and cleaner in a showroom may, in time, come to induce listening fatigue in your own home. The McIntosh house sound, which I prefer, is smooth, warm, yet still renders plenty of detail. After years of incremental upgrades, I finally have a system I can listen to for extended periods of time and not get the itch to switch to a movie or TV program. I am fortunate that, based on comments on user forums and professional reviews, I was able to assemble such a system for an amount of money I could afford.

Especially since you are running DIY speakers, I would not make such a large committment without either in-home trials (of more than a few days) or a return/exchange option. If your dealer is a dealer for both brands, this should not be a problem. I bought my McIntosh C220 preamp without any store audition (used from Audio Classics), but only did so because the dealer offered a return option. IMHO, there is no substitute for an extended audition in your system, in your home, with your music, and no salesman hovering. Not to knock retailers, some are fantastic, but it is rare that there is a complete absence of pressure during an in-store audition.

So, of course, go with the Bryston if you prefer it (not for nothing, but blue meters, while cool, are not a reason to buy any piece of hifi gear). I would stick to more recent Bryston products for sure, and definitely listen at home before committing.

Good luck!